Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Albright Knox Reaction

What artwork stood out to me?





Naum Gabo , Linear No. 2, variation
Stainless steel coil on plastic 1962-65




This piece stood out to me because I have never seen anything like it. It had an organic shape but it was made out of straight lines of coils. I had taken some time walking around this piece to make sure I got to see every angle and possible view point.




Mary Bauermeister, 
Four Quart-er-s. Lenses, found objects, drawing. Approx. 3x3ft, 1965


This piece really caught my eye because it made me feel like a child again. I was trying to peak around the edges of the lenses and see the drawing get bigger and smaller through the glass. 






Which artworks did I have a connection with?



Julio Le Parc, Unstable Continual Light. Metal, wire, wood. Approx. 3.5 Ix 2.5 ft. 1962



I had a connection with this piece because it instantly brought you in. The piece wasn't only trapped in the wooden box, the light reflected on the ceiling and on the floor, as the breeze from on lookers went by the lights danced. It is a piece that easily draws you in and puts you in a fairy tail atmosphere.






Peter Ford Young, Number 22. 
Acrylic on canvas, 1968




I had made a connection with this piece because it looked like a controlled chaos, but surprisingly gave me peace. As being a college student, trying to figure out money and having a lot else on my plate, to see something that large and chaotic and me feel at ease. To be able to relax and realize somethings do seem messy and stressed but it turns out okay. 



Which would I like to know more about






Miguel Angel Vidal, Focos de Luz, Acrylic on canvas, Approx 5x5 ft.1969


I selected this piece to know more about because I just have so any questions. At some point in my life I would like to be able to do something this intricate and mesmerizing. I would like to know how its done, how long it took, what was the story behind the color choices? 


James Rosenquist, Nomad. Oil on canvas with plastic and wood.1963




This piece is such a unique one I was just so intrigued to know the meaning and story that lies behind it.




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabo's piece definitely had an organic feel because of the movement he created with the free flowing twists and curls. The use of man made, stainless steel to create such an organic composition added an element of contrast to the piece. I also was intrigued with James Rosenquist's painting, "Nomad". The size, use of colors and shapes within the painting strike me visually.

    ReplyDelete

New Media Artist Blog

What is the topic (what artist) of your presentation and why did you select that artist? The artist I chose was Danny Rozin. I selected t...