Thursday, October 4, 2018

Module 6, Video Review

In the first video, Through the Eyes of the Sculpture,  some key concepts I learned are:


  1. Bridges on a sculpture are pieces of stone left in fragile places not for the purpose of looks of the piece but to keep it stable while transporting. Bridges are left between fingers, legs and other pieces where the sculpture has a higher chance of breaking, these are carefully removed as the artist gets their piece to it's new home.
  2. Sculptures start with a detailed drawing of their idea then make a small model of the piece in clay. They then make a silicon mold to make the piece out of plaster. They then proceed to find the stone they need and make the full scale work.
  3. Marble is the product of limestone after it is baked, squeezed and crushed together when tectonic plates collided over 50 million years ago.
In the second video, Glass and Ceramics, some key concepts I learned was:
  1. Glass starts from sand and other natural powdery stone or shells
  2. Both glass and ceramics need a final firing to give the form it's final hardness
  3. The use of ceramics is forever growing, now it can be found in hospitals, the home, the workplace, technology, cars, everywhere.
The videos related to the reading by giving the audience a detailed look into the start to finish time line of sculpture, glass and ceramics. both book and videos showed the process that many may not have been aware to. They both did a great job showcasing the efforts put in by artist.

My opinion on the films was that they were very informational. I was expecting an hour long video on sculpture that I would have to try to keep my eyes open for but it was actually quite interesting for me. I haven't really dived into sculpture much so it was my first big introduction to the process. They really dived into each step showing the labor and time going into it. Showing that its not just making the art the artist has to worry about, the also deal with the installation. I do know much more about ceramics and glass work though but that video was still informational for me. I learned some added on information that will be good to know in upcoming classes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Media Artist Blog

What is the topic (what artist) of your presentation and why did you select that artist? The artist I chose was Danny Rozin. I selected t...